Sunday, May 8, 2011

In the Shadow of the Glorious Cross

There's a song I've been thinking about a lot lately called In the Shadow of the Glorious Cross by Brooks Ritter and Rebecca Bales from Sojourn Church. Its been brought before me a number of times in recent weeks, with a different message for me each time. Most notably, on the evening of Good Friday, while at an evening church service.

Good Friday was hard. It is incredibly overwhelming to think of the intense suffering Jesus went through for us. That He go through all that and declare "It is finished" astounds me, that He would endure the shame and pain and loneliness of the cross for my unborn baby, its humbling. The hymn was being played and I was trying to sing along, but hadn't been able to sing or say the praise of "Hallelujah" since Jairus died. Its a beautiful word, which means "praise ye the Lord" in the Hebrew language. Its a call to celebration and joy and uplifting of God. And it's been very hard for me to rejoice in the Lord the last few months. I am comforted by Him and rest in Him, but happiness is more difficult to offer up.
At the Good Friday service, during the "Hallelujah" chorus, I was given a vision in my mind's eye. In it I saw Jairus, laying on the floor, looking as he did the last time I saw him, so still and peaceful and quiet. Then, he turned away from me toward a dazzling bright light, he stood up and began dancing. And singing. And I knew for a fact that in that moment, my son has the privilege and the joy to look at the Lord who created him, the God who saved him, and to sing to HIM the praises of Hallelujah.
And I knew it was ok for me to be able to praise my God with the true Hallelujahs of my heart.

 In the Shadow of the Glorious Cross 
by Brooks Ritter and Rebecca Bales

In the Shadow of the Glorious Cross
Compelled by grace to cast my lot
Embrace the loss and bare your name
Forsaking all for Your own fame

Your hymn of grace sung over me
Abounding forth in glorious streams
My thirst is quenched by you my Lord
Sustained am I redeemed restored
Sustained am I redeemed restored


Hallelujah, Hallelujah

When death's dark shadow's at my feet
When I am plagued by unbelief
You place my hands into your side
By precious blood identified
By precious blood identified

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

These crowns I've clenched with fisted hands
I cast them down before the throne
Of Christ my God the worthy lamb
Christ crucified the Great I AM
Christ crucified the Great I AM

Hallelujah, Hallelujah


It's a beautiful song...enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful that God has been speaking to you through lyrics! How much sweeter will that one word, "Halleluia", be when you sing it because you're ready, not just because it's on the screen. Meg, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete