Monday, December 26, 2011

Included at Christmas

We struggled to think how we could include Jairus in our family traditions and celebrations at Christmas now that he celebrates in Heaven. Here's what we came up with...

We decorated his grave a couple weeks ago with a mini tree and some other decorations. 

At home, we were blessed by a dear woman at our church with this beautiful stocking made just for our boy. Its made from some receiving blankets we were given in a gift basket at the hospital when Jairus was born as well as some premie sized sleepers that Jairus would have gotten from his big brother Hazen. This is such a treasure to us and we are SO thankful to you, AmyLee!
 When we got the finished stocking and I showed it to the kids, Emma told me "Jairus doesn't need a stocking at our house, because died already and he lives up in Heaven...but maybe the stocking can float up to Heaven!!" I told her it was for us to remember him and fill with things that help us remember how much we love Jairus. Emma agreed that that was ok. :) I love how God speaks to me through that precious child!

We started an ornament collection for Jairus this year. It felt good to be able to look and buy something for him, though it was really hard knowing, as Emma reminded me, its not really for him, but for us. I was thinking a lot at the time about the story of Abraham from the book of Genesis in the Bible.

You can find the story of Abraham in Genesis chapters 12 - 25. Abraham is really old, but he and his wife never had any children. God comes to Abraham and promises him many amazing things, including that his descendants would outnumber the starts in the sky (Genesis 15:5) and one day the whole world would be blessed and saved through his family (Genesis 12:3) enter many years later...Jesus! The story of Abraham is amazing to me because God is so clearly pouring out His love on someone who is so clearly unworthy! But that's not the point of this post.

It struck me how Abraham (God's) children outnumber even the stars! To think if each of us were a star God called out by name. In thinking about that, I decided this year Jairus, being in the presence and glory of God, being one of God's "children of Abraham" would receive Christmas star ornaments to start his collection. Here's what we found...




I also had this ornament made for our family and both sets of grandparents to remember our baby in Heaven...the heart he is holding says "You may miss me but I'm spending Christmas with Jesus this year" Its been such a healing thought for me this Christmas season. Yes, I miss my son. Yes, I ache for him to fill the hole in our family, to see him grow and to know him now. But it is better for Jairus to be where he is. With Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Meg - I love this - and each of the ornaments you chose for Jairus. Thinking and praying for you.

    Love,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete